Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Redcurrant Berries

My Redcurrant bush exploding with berries in my front landscape.

Redcurrants are members of the gooseberry family. They are native to western Europe( France, Germany and Northern Italy). It is a shrub and in the springtime it starts out with small yellowish, green blossoms, that later turn into bright red translucent edible berries.
Redcurrants are slightly more sour than it's relatives and is harvested mainly for making jams and main dishes, rather than eating raw. German language herbalist sources say that redcurrant berries can reduce fevers, and induce sweating. They also have blood cleansing, diuretic and digestive properties.These small red berries are very high in vitamin C, fruit acids, and fiber. Teas made from dried redcurrant leaves is said to reduce the symptoms of rheumatism, be useful in compresses for poorly healing wounds and as a gargling solution for mouth infections.

11 comments:

  1. Good evening, dear Lydia,

    this post evokes memories of my childhood when I helped to pick redcurrant berries in my grandma's garden. She had so many bushes it took me almost a whole day to pick them all...

    I do not like the sour taste of these berries, but in jellies and marmelades they are good.

    Wishing you happy hours in your garden,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me every day with your garden and goodies. I'd like to come and raid your garden. What are you going to do with the currants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eva,
    What wonderful memories. Wow! I'm sure your gramdmother use to make some delicious jams with all those pretty bushes.
    I have not tried to make anything with the currant berries yet. I want to try and make both blackberry and redcurrant jam next year, sweetened with only fruit juice if possible. I'll have to start hunting for recipies.
    Have a wonderful evening!

    Hello Judy,
    Thank you! The only reason why I bought the currant bush was that I thought it would look pretty with all the bright red berries on it. I never tried making anything with them yet.
    I'm going to get daring and try to make jam next year. Hopefully they will turn out good.
    Wishing you a nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, yummy berries.

    Glad your bush is not literally exploding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia
    Thai one is excellent for reducing BP.
    we make pickles from it.really tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Baba doodlius,
    I'm glad too. My house would be in trouble if it was.
    Hopefully I'll come up with a good recipes for these berries. Have a pleasant day.

    Hello Deepack,
    Wow, Thanks for informing me about the Thai currants. Pickling them sounds delicious. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia...thanks for coming to and posting on my blog! Those currants look luscious!! I happen to love creme de cassis...which is a licquore made of currants!

    Nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda, Welcome to my blog and thank you. WOW! Currant liquore sounds delicious. I would love to try it sometime. Wishing you a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool, the berries are cherry red :) However, I am not a berry person, I am having grapes these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nabeel,
    I originally bought this bush only for ornamental purposes, but I may end up trying some currant recipes.
    I love grapes too.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete