Thursday, July 3, 2008

An Explosion Of Rudbeckias

Presently, there's a huge explosion of Rudbeckias in my garden and I love it! There's a story behind these happy daisy like blooms. My mother had always been an avid gardener. Everything she planted, whether it was in her flower beds, or vegetable garden grew like crazy. People would stop in front of her house to tell her how lovely her flowers looked, which made her day. Back in 2004 which was the summer before my dear mother passed away, me and my mom stopped at this little stand where this man was only selling Rudbeckia hirtas. He had tons of them. We both decided we would each perchase two small plants to put in our flower beds. The man selling us the flowers told us that the hirtas were annuals and would not return the following year. We bought them anyway and enjoyed looking at them the rest of the summer.
The following summer not expecting them to return, I noticed I not only had two plants, but there were now four pretty Rudbeckias in my front landscape. Immediately I thought maybe this was a sign from my mother who had now passed away. Since I've planted these flowers they have multiplied so much I can't even begin to count how many I have in m front garden. I must have a hundred of them in bloom right now and they're beautiful. What's even more beautiful is, every time I sit on my porch to admire them, I think of that pretty summer day me and my mother were out and about looking for flowers.
A close up I took of the Rudbeckia Hirtas
A close up of a flower.
A very small part of the floral explosion taking place in my garden.


4 comments:

  1. You have inherited your mother's "green thumb", dear Lydia. The way your beautiful rudbeckias multiply borders on magic. They are like so many golden suns in your garden, and I am sure that from every golden flower your mother's face is smiling at you. Wishing you a sunny afternoon, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    Thank you for the kind comment on my garden. They do glow like golden suns in the landscape. It's amazing that they have multiplied so much. The best part about it is I think of my dear mother everytime I look at them. Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia..this brought tears to my eyes, causing me to think of the times that my own dear mother, and I , made our little excursions.

    How wonderful that the flowers keep coming back like that..and in such profusion..and what a lovely reminder of your dear mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jan,
    It's nice to know our loved ones still vist us and watch over us while we are here on earth.
    I'm sure you and your dear mother were very close and I'm also sure she is sending you little messages to let you know she loves you and she's there for you.
    The first thing I thought of when I saw these pretty sunny flowers everywhere in my landscape was my mom. Memories of our mothers are so precious. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete