Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Arugula Dip

Arugula also known as rocket is an edible plant. This leafy green is native to the Mediterranean region. It has been grown since Roman times and was believed to be an aphrodisiac.
Arugula looks like a longer leafed lettuce. It's rich in vitamin C and potassium. This vegetable has a rich peppery taste and a very strong flavor. Arugula can be used raw in salads, cooked slightly in pasta dishes, added to pesto, used as a topping on pizza and used in dips.
Every summer I grow arugula in succession in my garden, because I use it often. One of my favorite ways to make arugula is as a dip. If you don't grow arugula at home, many grocery stores and farm markets carry it. Below I have listed this tasty arugula dip for those who want to try something different.

Ingredients;
3 cups lightly packed arugula leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 large cloves of garlic, halved
1/2 tsp salt
1 15-oz, can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
Toasted baguette slices

In a blender combine arugula, oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Add beans and blend just until coarsely chopped and mixture is combined. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the chopped and seeded tomato it it. Stir until combined. You can serve this arugula dip immediately or chill up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, spread over slices of toasted baguette bread.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I buy arugula imported from Italy to make a tossed salad. I love its taste of nuts. Your arugula dip sounds good, Lydia. Wishing you a beautiful Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, I was raised eating fresh Arugula during the summer. My mom grew it in our garden every summer, now I can't be without it. have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Arugula and buy it often at the markets during the summer months. I am definitely trying the dip it sounds wondeful. Also the fruit salad is a must on these hot summer days. Thanks for all the great ideas and for stopping bye and enjoying the hike. It was a spectacular day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Juday, I'm so happy your going to try these recipes. I know you'll like them. I really enjoyed all of your beautiful vacation photos too! Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hearing about this plant 4 the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Deepak, This green is so good. If you ever come across it , it's worth a try. I'm sure you'll like the taste of it. My mom always grew arugula in her garden and now I make sure I do the same. As a matter of fact I have to plant more this afternoon. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete