Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blight

The spots on my tomato leaves are called blight. Every summer I have a long battle to try fight blight on my tomato plants. If I get to the plant to late, I end up losing it. I have put together an organic remedy to treat this fungus. It needs to be applied to both the infected plant and the soil around the plant every 7 days. before applying the fungal treatment I remove any leaves that already have spots on them and discard them in the trash.

For anyone who wants to try to treat infected garden plants organically, this mixture can be used to treat anthrocnose, early tomato blight, leaf blight, black spot, as well as powdery mildew.


Ingredients;


1 gallon jug full of water


1 tbsp baking soda


2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil


1/2 tsp pure castile soap


add the first four ingredients together and shake well. Once you've shaken the gallon bottle up, add the castile soap and shake again. once everything is mixed together pour some of the fungicide into a spray bottle and use on any plants that need to be treated.



3 comments:

  1. Hello, dear Lydia,
    I have blight on the leaves of some roses. Some are more resistent than others. I cut off the spotted leaves regularly and destroy them, not having found a remedy to prevent these ugly spots yet.
    Wishing you a good Sunday
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, I'm sorry to hear your roses also get blackspot on the leaves. Removing them is a good idea. This mixture is supposed to work on roses too. May be you will decide to give it a try. If you do, don't spray them in the hot midday sun. It's best to do this in the morning. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear Lydia,
    I do not have or take that much time for the garden as you do. So I just prefer to collect the infected leaves off the roses - as long as the blossoms are fine that's alright with me ...
    Have a pleasant Sunday afternoon,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete