Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Raw Summer Squash Salad

Over the weekend while flicking through the t.v. channels, I came across the food channel. I forgot the name of the guy on the show, but he had some excellent recipes for summer squash. Since I'm getting bombarded with them in my garden right now, I decided to watch it. I tried the raw summer squash salad he tlaked about twice already and both times it was absolutely delicious. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.
Ingredients;
2 small to medium sized yellow squash
2 small to medium sized zucchini
1 medium chili, seeded and chopped into flexes
1/2 cup of fresh chopped basil
5 summer squash flowers (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Olive oil (extra virgin)

Using a vegetable peeler, shave both the green and yellow squash into a medium bowl. Once all the summer squash is shaved nicely into the bowl, add the chopped chili, torn squash flower (with middle removed), chopped basil and salt & pepper. toss well. Add equal parts of both fresh squeezed lemon juice and olive oil, then toss again. If the dressing tastes too lemony for you, just add more olive oil to the salad.
Once the salad is tossed together well, you can serve this tasty fresh summer side dish with any vegetarian meal, grilled meal, or any fish dish.






5 comments:

  1. Dear Lydia,
    your garden is wonderful. You get so many different varieties of vegetables that you would probably have enough over the winter and would not need to buy anything if you made preserves, for example marinaded squash in glasses. Have you thought about it?
    Wishing you a pleasant Tuesday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, Thank you so much for your Idea. You now have me thinking about trying to glass my eggplant once that comes up. I will look into recipes to can eggplant and squash. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia, I watched Jamie Oliver also and copied his summer squash salad recipe. I haven't made it yet but it's on my list for this week. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Judy,
    Thank you so much for reminding me of this man's name. I like to watch his shows. He has many great recipes. I know you'll love this recipe once you've made it. I also want to make his pasta carbanara for my hubby some night soon. Wishing you a pleasant day!

    ReplyDelete