Monday, July 14, 2008

Fresh Harvest Salsa

During the summer months My garden gets loaded with tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeno peppers, therefore I find myself making all kinds of fresh salsa dips. Salsa can be made in so many different ways. This fresh harvest salsa recipe that I've listed below is so fresh and tasty. The fruit added to this recipe gives it a welcoming, unique flavor and tastes great with tortillas.
Ingredients;
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 of a small cantaloupe, seeded, peeled and diced
1/2 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and diced
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 1/2 tbsp of fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Tortilla chips
Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions, cantaloupe, mango, sweet pepper and jalapeno pepper. Once chopped place in a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Toss well and cover. Chill for 6 hours before serving with your favorite tortilla chips.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Lydia! Mmmm! I love salsa - you just can't imagine how much. My mouth is watering, just reading this.
    Canteloupe is an interesting addition. I never would have thought to add it.

    In my younger days, I really didn't like cilantro, but in the last couple of years it has really grown on me and I use it in many dishes. Mmmm!

    Kat

    P.S. I've added a podcast to my blog. Now you can hear me read my poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Lydia,
    a wonderful recipe for salsa ! I love tomatoes, too, and eat them every day. Wishing you a peaceful Monday in your garden,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!! I made your tropicall fruit salad over the weekend and it was wonderful. I'm having leftovers for lunch today. I'll be making it again soon. So good on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kat,
    I'm happy you like this recipe. Cilanro is so good and it's also easy to grow. The canteloupe adds a nice fresh flavor to this salsa dish.
    I will go over to your blog this morning to hear you read your poetry. How exciting! I can't wait to visit! Have a nice morning.

    Hello Eva,
    Thank you. I love tomatoes too. I'm still waiting for the ones in my garden to ripen. I am so looking forward to tomatoes this summer. They are all still green. Tomatoes also have a lot of cancer fighting benifits to them. Have a great afternoon.

    Hello Judy,
    I'm so happy that you made the fruit salad and enjoyed it. Your very welcome too. These are very light recipes, which makes them refreshing to eat during the summer. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks delicious! I love seeing all your garden pictures. I really crave a rich garden and we just don't have that opportunity here in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Allison,
    Thank you! I have so much to do outdoors in garden during the summer. When winter comes I get so bored staying inside. I'm sure there are a lot of neat desert plants to admire. Have a very pleasant evening.

    ReplyDelete