Friday, July 18, 2008

Frittata

Frittata is a popular Italian egg dish. My mom use to make this egg recipe all the time. Summer is my favorite time of year to make frittata, because of all the fresh vegetables I get to add from my garden. Fresh zucchini flowers can also be used in this delicious dish. You can omit or add anything to this recipe to suit your taste buds.
Ingredients;
Extra virgin olive oil
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and diced
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp grated Romano cheese
a couple zucchini flowers, (optional)
Cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Saute zucchini, onion and tomato over medium heat until soft. Meanwhile crack 6 eggs into a medium bowl. Add Romano cheese, salt, pepper and parsley to the eggs and whisk. When the sauteed vegetables have softened, add the eggs to it. If using the flowers, add them right after pouring the egg mixture to the pan. I usually tear them and lay them on top of the eggs to cook. Keep using your spatula to form a circle around the mixture and slide your spatula under the frittata often to prevent sticking while it's cooking. When it's time to flip, you'll need a plate for the top of the pan. Place a plate on top of the pan and flip the pan over, so that the frittata lands on the plate. Slide the frittata back into the pan, so it can continue to cook on the other side. Once done serve on a flat plate for breakfast, or as a side dish during lunch or dinner.

13 comments:

  1. I love fritatas, Lydia. I sometimes cheat in the wintertime and throw in frozen hash browns. *gasp*, but they are sooo good.
    This one's a keeper (as my husband would say). I'm building up quite a file of your recipes!
    Have you thought about publishing a book? Or do you have one?

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lydia,

    I just tried your recipe and made a fritata of tomatoes and cucumbers with eggs. It tasted delicious.

    I am glad that poetikat is suggesting a cookbook, too. You should really finish writing your "mamma mia cookbook" as soon as possible.

    Wishing you a wonderful Friday afternoon,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kat, I'm so happy your enjoying my recipes. Frittata was a favorite around my house while I was growing up.
    I'm working on a cookbook right now. I'm almost half way through it. If all goes well and I get an agent, it will be my first book. My next step is to proof read it all, then try and find an agent. I've been slacking on that, because I've been spending all my time out in the veggie garden. Have a wonderful day and enjoy the frittata with your dear hubby!

    Hello Graycrow,
    Welcome to my blog! I'm happy you think my frittata sounds good. I hope you continue to return. Have a nice day.

    Hello Eva,
    I'm so happy you made this recipe and enjoyed it. The way you made it sounds so good. My mom use to put tomatoes in it often. I do too at times. They add a very nice flavor to the dish. My mom also use to put very small cubed, cooked potatoes in it.
    I've been slacking in writing my cookbook this summer, because of all the time I'm spending outside. I really have to get back and do what I have to, so I can get this ball rolling. I want to thank you so much for all the inspiration you give me to write this book. You are such a great help with all of your advise about what to do. Have a beautiful afternoon Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, just did the 'What kind of flower are you?' quiz on your blog. Turns out I am a snapdragon. Cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Graycrow, It's a pretty fun test to take. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great recipe. I love frittatas. My favorite is asparagus and guyrere cheese. I'm going to try this one soo. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Judy,
    The great thing about frittata is that you can make this recipe in so many different ways and it's always delicious. Your version sounds tasty too, I'm sure it's sooo good. Wishing you a pleasant Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia..you make everything sound so delicious..and easy!

    I know that will be one great cookbook when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jan, Thank You! I have to start working on my book again. I figure when the weather cools off, I will get more time to work on my book. Have a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello everyone,
    I am a vegan and do not eat eggs at all. I do enjoy making frittata and many other non vegetarian dishes for my family and friends to enjoy even though I don't eat them myself.

    ReplyDelete