Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer's Bountiful Berries

Berries help prevent cardiovascular disease. researchers contribute the cardiovascular benefits to polyphenols also found in chocolate, wine and tea. There's no better time than right now to enjoy the fresh summer harvest of all types of berries for both their taste and health benefits.




My berries cluster black and thick


For rich and poor alike to pick.


I'll tear your dress, and cling, and tease,


and scratch your hands and arms and knees.


I'll stain your fingers and your face,


And then I'll laugh at your disgrace.


But when the bramble-jelly's made,


You'll find your trouble well repaid.





Poem by, Cicely Mary Barker



7 comments:

  1. Hello, dear Lydia,
    I love the photos of berries and Barker's wonderful poem, now all that is missing is her painting of the fairy ...
    Wishing you a peaceful Thursday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    Thank you. I decided to take some photos of the blackberries my kids picked off of my bushes the other day. I have tons of blackberries right now.
    I love Cicely Barker's books and poems. This one came out of the " Flower Fairies of The Autumn". Wishing you a pleasant afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia

    I've got sugar, I'll be over for a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, dear Lydia,
    over here the blackberries are not ripe yet. I am watching them every morning when I go on my walk. There is a thicket of blackberry brambles close to the woods, but I'll have to wait for another month ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice little poem you have selected Lydia and the photos remind me of raspberry picking along the dirt roads in rural Cape Breton. They always taste best right off the bush!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia.
    I am a heavy tea addict.
    Thanks for the grear info about berries.
    I liked the poem also.
    Good day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tara,
    I'll be waiting for you! have a great day!

    Hello Eva,
    I'm sure you will be bringing a bowl with you on your morning walks pretty soon, so you can pick some delicious blackberries. Have a nice afternoon!

    Hello Kat,
    It sounds like you have very pleasant memories of the blackberry bushes. I really like CiCely Mary Barker"s fairy poems and artwork. Have a great day!

    Hello Deepak,
    I also drink teas all day long. Teas are so good for you. I love herbal fruit teas. I also drink a lot of green tea. Have a pleasant day!

    ReplyDelete