Friday, August 1, 2008

Polenta

A few weeks ago while remembering my dear mother and all her delicious Italian meals, her tasty Polenta came to mind. Unfortunately this is one dish I didn't watch her make. While on my quest to figure out how to make Polenta, I remembered that most of my aunts knew how to make this recipe. I decided to call one of them and I'm happy I did, because I now know how to make this Italian favorite. My aunt gave me the recipe, but never measured it out while she cooked it, so I had to do a bit of experimenting myself. Today I finally made Polenta and it turned out great. Here's the recipe for those who wish to try and make it.

Ingredients;
1/2 bag of cornmeal(I bought a 24 oz bag and used 1/2 of it)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste

Fill a 9 inch pan with warm water and add oil and salt. Place over medium to medium low heat ( you may have to turn the heat lower as it's cooking). Slowly add the cornmeal to the water and stir frequently through out the whole cooking process, never bringing it to a boil. This dish will take about twenty to thirty minutes to cook. If it seems too thick add more water, or vice versa. Once The cornmeal is of a thick, pasty consistency, but still spreadable, remove from the stove and pour into individual plates. Spread it around the plate with the back of a spoon until it's the size of a large pancake, but a bit thicker. When it's evenly spread, let set for a few minutes to stiffen.
When your ready to serve the Polenta, you can top it with tomato sauce, escarole and beans, or any other of your favorite toppings.


11 comments:

  1. Dear Lydia,
    it is great that you have Italian aunts whom to ask about recipes. I am sure your family enjoyed eating polenta.
    Wishing you a peaceful Friday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, I'm thankful for that. Whenever I have a question about a recipe I can give them a ring and they'll help me out.
    Everyone did enjoy it, especially my father. He hasn't had polenta since my mom passed away 3 years ago. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polenta in yummy, but if you have that much corn meal, why not use it to make a big ol' batch of corn bread? Goes great with a dab of honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lydia I really enjoy dishes with corn meal. This looks really good. Thankyou for sharing this one. Have a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Baba Doodlius, I do love corn bread, but have never made it. Maybe I'll try to soon. Have a great day.

    Hello Jamerson, I also like many things made with corn meal, but usually don't cook with it. Have a pleasnat afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is delicious!

    great blog!

    a kiss,

    see you,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kira,
    Welcome to my Blog. Thank you for commenting. Have a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i usually don't like polentas, but this one looks SUPER YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Wendiva, Thanks. You may like this recipe if you decide to try it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lydia, the photos of your garden are just beautiful. Your vegetable garden is great. It must be hard to get the time to get out there and work the soil.

    Your polenta dish seemed simple enough. I have had a couple of disasters with trying to cook polenta. One time I made enough to feed an army - and it tasted awful. I buried it in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Linda,
    Thank you! It's very hard to get outdoors. There are days where I just have to forget about the housework, so I can spend the day tending to both the flower and veggie garden.
    This is th first time I made Polenta myself. I thought I would mess up, but I ended up doing o.k., which shocked me.
    Wishing you a pleasant day!

    ReplyDelete