Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Baked Summer Squash

"Summer Squash in my vegetable garden"

Every summer I make a very easy side dish, using both green and yellow summer squash. It's not only easy to make, it's also super fast to whip up, extremely low in calories and fat, and you don't need much to put it together.

Ingredients:
2 medium yellow squash
2 medium zucchini
3 large cloves of minced garlic
4 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & pepper to taste ( You can also use regular salt if you want)

Cut zucchini and yellow squash in half length wise. Continue to cut making long match sticks out of them. Place the already cut summer squash into a baking dish. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Place uncovered in a oven that's been heated to 425 degrees. Turn occasionally while cooking. This dish should take 20 to 25 minutes to bake or until they are soft.
Once done, remove from the oven and serve along side of your favorite vegetarian or meat dish.

8 comments:

  1. squash? that's new to me, is it a vege or a fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alison,
    summer squash is a vegetable. There's both yellow and green. The green summer squash is called a zucchini.
    Have a great day.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, dear Lydia,
    I do not eat squash, but I love zucchini and have them in different ways, mostly French and Italian recipes - delicious !

    Wishing you a pleasant Wednesday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Eva,
    Zucchini is so good. I've never tried any French zucchini recipes. I'm sure they're delicious prepared French style.
    Have a pleasant day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... squaaaaaash. When you boil it and mash it like potatoes, it's squashed squash. That's yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia that sounds wonderful. Another of your recipes that I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia
    I should try it :)
    I liked your butterfly pic a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Baba doodlius, Boiled and mashed? I've never tried it that way. will also try it boiled then. Thank you,
    have a great morning,
    Lydia

    Hello Judy,
    Thank you for your comment. This dish is really tasty and it's very quick and easy to put together. I think you'll like it.
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    Hello Deepak,
    I think you will like this recipe if you try it.
    Thank you for complementing my butterfly photo. Taking pics of butterflies is so fun. I can't wait to get back to the local butterfly sanctuary so I can take more. I've been trying to get butterfly pic in my yard too.
    Wishing you a pleasant day.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete