Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Corn Moon

"The Corn Moon"

August's full moon is known as "the corn moon". It's also called: the barley moon, dispute moon and when the cherries turn black moon. August was originally called Sextilis by the Romans. It was later named August in honor of Augustus Caesar. Gathered Harvests were celebrated in many lands during this month.
The Romans had a festival during August called Consualia when sacrifices to Consus were made. Consus was the god of the underground storehouse where grains were kept. They also celebrated the Opseconsiva, a harvest festival for the goddess Ops. Wine and fresh bread were placed at her alter. Near the end of the month they had a thanksgiving feast called the Charisteria.
The very early Greeks had holy day for Hecate, the dark mother on August 13 and 10 days later for Nemesis, the goddess who balanced the scales of justice with rightful revenge and punishment.
The Egyptian Blessing of the boat was quite similar to the Roman festival of the Ludi Pistalari in June during the mead moon. Each boat was considered to have it's own personality and a need of protection and blessing.


4 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, dear Lydia,
    what a wonderful post. I enjoyed reading your text about the August full moon.
    Hecate, the dark goddess, may she protect you and me this night and every night!
    Blessings
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lydia I'm very impressed. You are very wise I sensed that about you. Have a beautiful weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eva, Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed this post. I hope your right about Hactate. I find all this information so interesting.
    Have a nice evening,
    Lydia

    Hello Jamerson,
    Thank you for the wonderful comment. I'm very happy you felt this about me. I hope all is going well with you and your enjoying this beautiful summer.
    Have a pleasant day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again to both Eva and Jamerson,
    Don't forget to look up at the beautiful August moon this evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete