Friday, August 15, 2008

Bruschetta With Tomato And Basil



With all the tomatoes I'm getting out of my garden right now, I find myself freezing and making all kinds of tomato recipes. It's so nice that I'm now able to keep fresh Italian bruschetta on hand daily. I have a very easy and delicious bruschetta recipe for those of you who have an overload of tomatoes in your garden right now, or just love the fresh taste of tomatoes in the summer.
Ingredients;
7 large ripe tomatoes
3 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbs of olive oil
10 large fresh basil leaves
1/2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
1 loaf of French or Italian bread
Olive oil for the bread
Place a pot of water on the stove. Bring water to a boil, then add tomatoes. Let them boil for 1 minute. Remove the tomatoes from water and peel the skins with either a knife, or your fingers. Once the tomatoes are peeled, quarter them and discard pulp and seeds. Chop the tomatoes into small chunks and place into a bowl. Add garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, parsley and salt & pepper to the tomatoes and toss well. Let the mixture set for 30 minutes or more before using.
When ready to use slice a loaf of either Italian, or French bread in half and brush the cut side with olive oil. Toast in an oven that's been pre heated to 450. Once the bread has toasted remove from the oven, then cut into slices and serve by spreading bruschetta over the top.


8 comments:

  1. Good evening, dear Lydia,
    I must admit I am so lazy that I buy bruschetta in glasses. But I am sure that your self-made bruschetta tastes a lot better.
    Wishing you a pleasant Friday evening,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    There are also many good bruschetta mixes out at the store too. During the winter time when my fresh summer tomatoes are long gone, I purchase my bruschetta from the store too.
    Have a very nice evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm putting this recipe into my file, Lydia! Sounds delicious and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amber,
    I'm happy your going to try this one. It's very easy and it just tastes so fresh and good.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another delicious food that everyone adores, Lydia. Your recipes are so good that I have a documents file on my computer just for them!

    Have a good weekend.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Burschetta, thanks for another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kat, I'm so happy you save the recipes I list. I hope you enjoy them. Thank you so much. I feel honored. I'm going to get to your blog very soon to read more of your wonderful poetry. Wishing you a great evening,
    Enjoy viewing the full moon Tonight.
    Lydia

    Hello Judy,
    Your very welcome! Thank you also for sharing all of your delicious recipes with me. I also love reading about all your beautiful flea market finds.
    Have a pleasant day and don't forget to look up at the full moon tonight.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia, can you freeze this recipe? Any hints about it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete