Friday, August 22, 2008

Autumn Sedums

When my autumn sedums come into bloom, I know the summer will be coming to a close. What a bittersweet ending. While admiring their dainty pink petals facing up towards the sun, I can feel a slight sadness inside myself, because this also means these sunshine filled days are slowly getting shorter.
What I do like about late summer is the bountiful harvests this season is kind enough to give us. It's so nice to walk into my now opened local apple store and see the newly harvested pares, the endless variety of apples, the delicious sweet apple cider and all of the fresh baked goods to choose from.

One apple store in my area lights their fireplace on the weekends during the months of October and November. People can purchase apple cider, coffee, teas, apples and fresh baked pies, pastries and donuts to enjoy on the sofa in front of the fire. We take our kids there for cider and a tasty treat of their choice on crisp, fall Sunday mornings.

Even though I'm bummed about summer's ending, I welcome the arrival of the autumn equinox. Autumn is a time of reflection.We may start to think back on all of those lazy summer, hanging out in nature with the sun's golden blanket wrapped around us and longing for it to return, while preparing for the cold, dark days of winter ahead.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful text about the ending of summer, and the beautiful sedum photos. Mine are not blossoming yet, they will take awhile.

    I enjoyed this summer very much, just like you, and am looking forward to the aequinox in September, a very special time of the year.

    Wishing you a pleasant Friday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are beautiful as usual. The apple stores sound like so much fun. I'm sorry to see summer go to but I'm excited for fall and the turning of the leaves. Have a great day Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eva,
    Your very welcome! Thank you! It's nice that your sedums will take awhile, because when everything else has died off, your beautiful autumn sedums will be in bloom.
    I also love and look forward to the autumn equinox. You are so right! It is a special time of year.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Lydia

    Hello Judy,
    Thank you! I too love the beautiful colors of the fall. There is so much going on in nature at that time. All the delicious squashes come into season and the sweet autumn friuts are available at the local farm markets.
    I'm sure you make some scrumpious desserts in the fall too!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really excellent pics :)
    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Deepak, Thank you! I'm doing fine. I hope all is well with you too.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad to see the summer disappear Lydia, but Autumn has always been my favourite time of year. I love putting on a sweater, the smell of woodfires burning, hot drinks and of course the colours. The Fall is the time when we play more classical music and read more books than any other time of year.

    I do enjoy having sedums in my garden too. I love the fact that they look good all year round - even in winter their stems are stately and a lovely colour.

    Have a lovely Sunday,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kat,
    I do agree with you about the cozy crisp days feeling nice. I too start to pull books out of my bookcase that I haven't gotten to yet, so I can get to reading right through the winter.
    Autumn sedums are very hardy and last, this is what makes them so nice to have in the landscape.
    Have a wonderful start to the week,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete