Thursday, August 14, 2008

Drying And Freezing Fresh Basil

"Italian Sweet Basil Growing In My Garden"

With the end of summer soon approaching, it's time for me to start freezing, drying and canning the many herbs and vegetables that I have grown in my garden. Basil is one herb I make sure to always have on hand in my kitchen. In early spring, I plant about 30 to 40 basil plants. After they've started to grow, I pick and dry them all summer long. Another way to store basil is by freezing them while they're still fresh. Both freezing and drying take very little time.
To dry fresh basil, simply wash and pat dry with a paper towel. Once dryed lay the leaves flat on a baking sheet. The baking sheet can be left on the kitchen counter. Every once in a while it's good to move the basil around the baking sheet as it's dryed, to make sure it does not mold during the process. When the basil has dried store in mason jars or a plastic zip lock bag.

3 comments:

  1. Good evening, dear Lydia,
    I love the perfume and the taste of basil. A pot of fresh basil is standing on my kitchen table each summer and winter. I use this herb very often for salads and cooking.
    Wishing you a peaceful night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    I think it's great that you grow potted basil all summer. Next season I intend on having fresh basil growing in my garden and in a pot on my front porch. This makes it much easier to pick when I don't feel like walking to the garden.
    Have a great evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lydia, I freeze all my herbs for winter but I didn't think you could freeze basil. I haven't tried drying it either but I will now. I found a method of drying herbs in the microwave in a CI (hope they don't mind) and I want to try that method. Do you do anything to the basil before freezing? Thanks for your comments on the aprons. That is one of my favs too.

    ReplyDelete