Monday, August 18, 2008

Golden Gazpacho

"Lemon boy tomatoes I harvested from my garden"

Right now I have a lot of lemon boy tomatoes ripening all at once in my vegetable garden. While flipping through my August issue of the body and soul magazine, I came across a golden gazpacho recipe . I've been very eager to try it out and I finally made it as a part of our last night. The chilled gazpacho turned out fabulous. For this recipe you can choose any variety of yellow heirloom tomatoes. I happened to use lemon boy because these are the type of yellow tomatoes I have growing right now. This is yet another quick, low fat and super easy recipe to put together.

Ingredients;
2 lbs of yellow heirloom tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and thickly sliced
1/2 cup of carrot juice (fresh or jarred)
3 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped into chunks
3 tbs of red wine vinegar
2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
Course sea salt
1 avocado
1 small red heirloom tomato

In a blender of food processor, combine yellow tomatoes, onion, squash, bell pepper, garlic, carrot juice, vinegar, and oil. You will have to make this in batches. Pulse in blender until finely pureed. Season with salt and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.

At serving time scoop into individual bowls and garnish with chopped red tomato and sliced avocado.

7 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, dear Lydia,
    I have never seen or tasted "Lemon Boy" tomatoes. Do they have a lemon flavour? I love their looks.
    Wishing you a beautiful Monday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about the Lemon Boy flavor, too!

    The gazpacho sounds wonderful and I bet it was absolutely beautiful to look at, too!

    I've got to go to the grocery store today and need to incorporate some of your recipe items into my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Eva,
    Lemon boy tomatoes are very sweet. They're sweeter and juicier than the red heirloom tomatoes. I just love them and grow them every year. My mom use to grow them and that's how I became familiar with them. They are very pretty in the garden too. They are a lemon yellow when ripe, but have no lemon flavor at all.
    Wishing you a great evening.
    Lydia

    Hello Amber,
    Lemon boys are very sweet in flavor they are delicious in red tomato salads too. They add a sweet twist to the salad.
    The gazpacho did look pretty when it was finished. I'm having the left overs tonight.
    I'm so happy your going to try some of my recipes. I hope you enjoy them.
    Wishing you a nice evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening, dear Lydia,
    my email to you was returned without an answer. What happened ?
    Wishing you a good night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Eva, I did receive your message. I suppose it was another one of those strange email mishaps I keep encountering. I'll try to send you an email right now to see what happens. Have a wonderful day.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great recipe to add to the "Lydia" file! I'll give this one a try for sure!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kat, That's great! I feel honored that you like my recipes. Have a great day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete