Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ladybugs As Natural Pest Control For The Garden

Friday I went out to my local garden center and purchased 1800 ladybugs for my rose bushes. I released them among the roses, so they will eat the aphids that are feeding on my rose buds. Ladybugs are considered beneficial insects for gardens of all kinds. They are a perfect way to combat many types of garden pests. They eat a variety of insects that attack vegetable plants and many other plants in the landscape. Ladybugs and many other beneficial insects are often used by organic gardeners. The more beneficial insects we can use in our gardens, the less harmful chemical pesticides are needed to eliminate unwanted pests, thus keeping our ourselves healthy and the environment cleaner. I have already noticed a decrease in bud damage caused by the aphids since I released them on Friday.
Ladybug on a daisy.

Ladybugs getting ready to overwinter.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, these ladybugs! They are beneficial to the garden for eating insects and beneficial to people because they are supposed to bring luck.
    So lots of luck to you, dear Lydia, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, Thank you. I've heard that ladybugs bring good luck. I'm happy I bought 1800 of them the other day! Ever winter I get them coming into my home trying to overwinter in here. I carefully move them out doors when I can so that they can find a more suiting place to overwinter, but I never kill them.
    When my daughter was 2 years old, she loved ladybugs. At times when she would step on a ladybug by accident, she would freak out and cry and tell me she turned a ladybug into an oval. That made her so upset. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia,
    I would like to compliment you on your photo, the new avatar. It looks very pretty and just fitting for summer. That's nice for a change.
    Wishing you a pleasant Father's Day,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can buy ladybugs? wow! that's something new to me. 1800?? thats a lot of ladybugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia, I see lovely pics of your lovely garden here, but I haven't seen your entry for our Garden Party.... I'm hopping you can participate....

    Looking forward to seing your pic...

    cielo

    ReplyDelete