Monday, October 12, 2009

talcuri


Here's a delicious Caribbean butternut squash recipe to try!

Ingredients;

Extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

5 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 tbs turmeric

1 1/2 curry

1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped

1/2 cup water

1 tbs cumin

1tsp sea salt

black pepper

Pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pan. Saute chopped onions for 10 minutes or until soft. Add chopped garlic and continue to saute for another 5 minutes. Once the garlic and onions are done add the turmeric and curry, continue to mix into the vegetables until the aroma releases from the pan. Add butternut squash, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir together well and cover for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add water and recover. stir often while squash is cooking. Once the squash starts to soften and your able to mash it, add cumin.

cover and continue to cook on medium heat, while mashing, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan often during the whole cooking time. You may have to add more olive oil and salt to the squash.

When everything is soft and well mashed you can either serve with a side of brown basmati rice or whole grain toasted pita wedges.



6 comments:

  1. Your recipes are great, dear Lydia.

    In the booklet I will send to you you will find some vegan recipes from the South of France.

    People here like to eat lots of different fish and vegetables.

    The white, red and rose wines taste wonderful, too.

    Blessings

    Olivia Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia
    Another great recipe from you!
    Loved it and I shall make it!

    Thank you and have a wonderful day!

    Margie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia your making me hungry again. I have never had this before I will have to try it have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia,
    I'm so excited to receive the recipe booklet from you! I will try many of the dishes right away. I'm sure me and everyone else will find them delicious.
    Fish and vegetables are so healthy. This is the type of food I was raised on. Mediterranean diets are one of the healthiest diets we can follow and I love the food too. Much of it is so fresh and so flavorful.
    I'm sure the wines are fabulous Where you are. My favorite type of wines are a full bodied French Bordeaux and I also love Rhone wines.
    I hope you like the package I sent you and it gets there soon!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Margie,
    This puts a nice twist on butternut squash. I often eat this dish with brown rice as my main meal for dinner about this time of year. I don't get sick of it either.
    I hope you enjoy it.
    Have a nice day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jamerson,
    If you like spicy foods with an east Indian flavor, you will just love this dish!
    Wishing you a wonderful day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete