Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween Myths


It has always been believed that a witch keeps a special animal called a "familiar". A familiar is an animal shaped spirit who willingly serves their owner in different roles as well as bewitching people. The most well known of these spirit animals is a black cat, although less common animals were used, such as crows and ravens. Black cats were known to be shape shifters as were ravens.
People thought that witches could transform themselves into black cats by reciting a spell and then being able to travel about doing things unnoticed. This was obviously a myth.

6 comments:

  1. How interesting! The cat looks just like my black cat Merlin (hope that doesnt mean Im a witch LOL!) X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kitten,
    I'm happy you like this post. How cute you have a black cat!!!
    They're soooo cute. My dad had two of them when he had his house.
    My kitty is an orange, reddish and white tabby.
    Have a great day and a wonderful Halloween!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lydia,

    I also have a new familiar here in France, my cat "Monsieur Minou", also called "bijou" which means "jewel".

    He is very playful and really nice. I got him as a tiny, sweet kitten from a neighbour.

    He is wonderful company.

    Blessings

    Olivia Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia,
    How nice that you got a kitty to enjoy!!!!!!! This is great. I've always had a Kitty. I would never be without one!!!!!!!
    Enjoy your new kitten,
    Have a wonderful day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very interesting!
    Good post, Lydia!

    Margie:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Margie,
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a nice evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete