Thursday, February 19, 2009

Soba And Tofu In Ginger and Broth

This is another delicious recipe I tried two times already. This vegan recipe came from my "Body and Soul" magazine. It has a very gingery flavor, with a slightly spicy taste. You'll also have some left overs too. I found the left overs are even more flavorful, even though it's very good on the same night you make it. I find many soups enhance in flavor when they are stored for more than a day in the refrigerator.

Ingredients;
1 bunch of scallions (6 scallions), whites and greens separated, greens cut into 2 inch lengths and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 ounce ginger, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves smashed
Canola oil, for the grill pan
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
Course sea salt and ground black pepper
2 teaspoons soy sauce, plus more for seasoning
6 oz soba noodles
1 bunch baby bok choy, trimmed and sliced thinly
4 oz snow peas
1 red serrano chile, thinly sliced crosswise
1 tsp fresh sesame seeds, for garnish


In a medium sauce pan, combine scallion whites, ginger, garlic and 8 cups of water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a grill pan over medium high heat; lightly oil the pan. Slice tofu in half; season with salt and pepper. Add tofu to grill and cook, turning all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. cut into small cubes.

Strain aromatics from the broth with a slotted spoon.; discard solids.
Bring broth to a boil; add soy sauce and soba. Cook soba 1 minute until dente. Add bok choy, snow peas, and chile. Cook until veggies are tender-crisp. Add more soy sauce if desired. To serve, place noodles in bowl with broth; top with tofu, scallion greens, and sesame seeds.




9 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Another keeper.

    Have a nice day, Lydia!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello kat, I swear by this, It's delicious!!!!!!
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, dear Lydia,

    I have never tried soba or tofu, but I do like the taste of ginger: ginger cookies, ginger tea ...

    Wishing you a good Thursday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Eva,
    Ginger is so good for us in many ways. I'm drinking ginger tea right now as I'm typing this.
    Ginger aids digestion.
    Wishing you a nice weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reading your recipe my mouth was watering. My stomach has said thank you. You are so correct to mention that soups are enhanced with a day in the fridge. It does savor the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening, dear Lydia,

    wishing you a good start into the new week.

    Take care,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dave,
    This recipe is so good and very light. It has a very nice touch of spice to it also.
    I'm sure you'll like this one.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Eva,
    Thank you! The same wishes are also passed from me to you!
    Enjoy your evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a big fan of tofu, but ginger I love. It has many health benefits and we use it in our food, all the time. Ginger as well as garlic

    ReplyDelete