Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two Bean Vegan Chili With Avocado

Every time people think of chili, many of us think of the chili that's loaded with fat. There's also some very tasty, meatless chili recipes, that are low in fat.
Here's a two bean chili and avocado dish that I'm sure some of you will love, minus all the fat that comes along with a traditional bowl of chili.
Ingredients;
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
2 tsp. olive oil
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp of cumin
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
In a large saucepan cook onion and oregano in hot oil over medium- high heat for 3 minutes, or until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, beans, spices, salt and pepper and salsa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes. To serve, top with avocado and snipped cilantro.


14 comments:

  1. Sounds good and I love avocados. And they are good for you so that makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wow! and Wow.

    Made this yesterday the taste was superb. I loved it.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Judy,
    I too love Avocados. I use them all the time. They're also great in salads.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dave,
    I'm happy you liked this recipe! I'm going to make it for myself tonight! I cooked the beans yesterday.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Gypsy Butterfly,

    I love your new header and the frame.

    Greetings from the South of France

    Olivia Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Olivia Eva,
    Thank you I thought it would be very fitting for this time of year, since I have tons of black berries in my yard right now!
    Thank you! I'm sure your enjoying your new start in South France!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Lydia I love avocados and I used to grow lots of black berries and rasberries too! Black berries are one of my favorite foods. Tnx for the recipe! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jamerson,
    I love the Hass Avocado, but I heard on the radio that Mexico fertilizes them with human biparts, I don't really know what that means, but it sounds gross, so I switched to the green avocado, even though I like the hass better.
    Blackberries are so good! I snack on them every night.
    Soon my apricots will be ripe too!
    Have a great weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lydia Biparts eeow that does sound creepy haha I used to have apricots too. I just love them flavors enjoy Have a great day dear

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great recipe. I will give it a go. It is hard to get interesting and different recipes for vegan that have a nice kick to them. Again, another beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Over here the hedges are also full of black berries; I love pîcking them while taking walks.

    All the best to you, dear Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Olivia,
    That sounds wonderful! I've been putting them in my salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar! It gives the salad a nice change of flavor!
    If you ever want to email me, you're more than welcome, my email address is the same zenbe address. I will leave that up to you Olivia.
    I sounds so nice where you are.
    I'm sure you're enjoying your walks in the French country side, while snacking on the blackberries!
    have a wonderful evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Olivia,
    I will send it to you right now and delete your last message so no one else gets your address!
    I'm happy we will be writing again. I missed our communcating. I will love reading about all the wonderful things you've experienced and have seen in France so far!!!!!
    have a wonderful Day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete