Friday, January 30, 2009

Refritos

For years now I've been making some very tasty recipes out of my "Mooswood Cookbook" by Molly Katzen. This book contains a huge variety of vegetarian and vegan recipes. When a recipe is not vegan, I can easily make a few adjustments to make my dish vegan.
Since I love wraps and many other delicious Mexican foods, I wanted to share this vegan re fried bean recipe I always make. This recipe also came from the "Mooswood Cookbook". My family loves it and this particular recipe is high in fiber and low in saturated fat.
Ingredients;
2 cups dry pinto beans, cooked
2 to 3 tbs olive oil
2 cups minced onions
5 to 6 cloves of minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 salt
black pepper

1) Cook the presoaked beans in plenty of boiling water until very soft

2) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, half the garlic, cumin, and salt. Saute over medium heat about 10 minutes, of until the onions are soft. Add remaining garlic; season with black pepper.

3) Turn heat to low, add beans, and mix well. Mash with a fork or a potato masher, and cook for just a few more minutes more. Serve right away, or store in the refrigerator until you want to reheat it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely banner, those heart-shaped two strawberries.

    Yes, spring is coming, I am looking forward to it.

    And a new recipe, wow!

    Wishing you a peaceful night,
    dear Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia, I love your new banner! Mr Kitten would love this recipe I will have to make it for him X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eva,
    Thank You! I thought it was a nice heading for valentine's day month.
    I'm looking forward to staring my garden at the end of May.
    Wishing you a nice day,
    Lydia

    Hello Vintage Kitten,
    Thank you! I hope you like this recipe when you do try it.
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia, I'm definately going to try this! We love Mexican Food and I always buy vegetarian refried beans. Now I'll make them!
    I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty. The poem made me cry, of course! I'm going to get the book. That's a beautiful memorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Linda, I'm sure you'll love this recipe.
    You'll also love this book. It's a children's book. I bought this even before I had my kids, because I just loved it and I truly believe that all creatures do go to heaven.
    I figured one day when I did end up having kids, it would be a great and meaningful book to read to them.
    Have a great day and enjoy your warm sunshine!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Again Linda,
    I also forgot to mention the art work is just beautiful in this book too.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete