Friday, January 16, 2009

Lentil Soup To Nurture Your Soul & Your Body

During the colder months lentil soup can be so filling and soothing for both the body and soul. It's also loaded with protein and very low in fat.
Here's a great lentil soup recipe that my mom use to make all the time. This is one recipe I make often in the winter. Many times I serve it as a main meal mixed with brown rice, or with a side of toasted whole grain bread.
Ingredients;
4 tbs olive oil
1 chopped yellow onion
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks chopped celery
4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
2 medium peeled and chopped potatoes
5 cups of water
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 tbs basil
1 tbs parsley
2 medium bay leaves
2 medium chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of dry lentils
2 cups of chopped kale (optional)
In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic and potatoes. Saute over medium high heat for ten minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the rest of the ingredients except the kale to the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add kale during the last 15 minutes of cooking time if using.
Once done pour the soup over brown rice, or serve with a side of toasted whole grain bread.
This is sure to warm your bones on these frigid days.

12 comments:

  1. Good evening, dear Lydia,

    I love lentil soup and eat it often during the winter season.

    Wishing you a calm night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    Lentils are so good for everyone. They're extremely healthy and they're also a great protein substitute, even when someone desides to go meatless only one of two days a week.
    Have a great weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made lentil soup off and on over the years, and do love it. Guess I'll make someusing your recipe..just the thing for a cold day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda,
    I too make Lentil soup all winter long. I hoope you enjoy the recipe.
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lentil's are great. However, I am still yet to convince my son of their tasty value. You have such easy to follow recipes. I love the photo of the trees you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lydia!! i've missed u!! sorry for the absence, have been traveling throughout europe and am finally back in paris for awhile. i love lentil soup, i had a really good one the other day at a restaurant, and so ur recipe totally helps with my inspiration of making some good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, dear Lydia,

    wishing you and your family a good start into this new week.

    With your excellent cooking they won't go hungry in this bitter cold winter.

    All the best to you,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lydia now that recipe sounds like a good idea it's kinda cold out. I remember my mother used to make this. Thanks for the recipe. Have a great day dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Linda, Thank you. My daughter loves lentil soup, but my son isn't a huge fan of it. Maybe it's a boy thing.
    Wishing you a very nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Wendiva,
    I'm so happy your back! It must of been so fun traveling to all different places.
    I'm sure the lentil soup that you had in Paris was fabulous!
    I'm going to be placing another east indian lentil soup recipe on my blog next week. I got it out of my "Body and Soul" magazine. I already made it and absolutely loved it.
    Wishing you a very nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Eva,
    Thank you so much for your warm wishes.
    I try to keep their bellies satisfied during these bone chilling days and nights.
    Every winter night is a perfect soup night around here.
    Wishing you a very nice afternoon,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jamerson,
    I think you'll really like this recipe if your a fan of lentils. My mom also use to make this soup as soon as the first chill was felt in the air.
    During the summer it was all about my mom's minestrone made from the veggies out of her garden and poured over Italian bread.
    Wishing you a very nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete