Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pomegranate and Spinach Salad

Pomegranate season starts in October and goes right through January. This exotic fruit is not only loaded with vitamins, it's also delicious and pretty when mixed in salads.
A few weeks ago I came across this pomegranate and spinach salad recipe in my December "Body and Soul" magazine. It's definitely worth a try, because it was absolutely out of this world. Here's the recipe.
Ingredients;
1 pomegranate
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt and ground pepper
2 bunches flat leaf spinach, stems trimmed, washed and drained
2 tbs roasted sunflower seeds
1 Hass avocado
Halve pomegranate lengthwise and seed. Use your hands to separate seeds from the membrane. Discard membrane and reserve the seeds for the salad.
In a large bowl, whisk together 3 tbs lemon juice, mustard, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss spinach, sunflower seeds, and pomegranate seeds together with dressing in bowl. Transfer to a serving platter.
Halve avocado and remove pit. Scoop out flesh and thinly slice lengthwise; drizzle remains of lemon juice over the top and serve immediately.



11 comments:

  1. Good morning, dear Lydia,

    I love the taste of pomegranate fruit. I am sure that the recipe you are proposing is very tasty and healthy.

    Thank you,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    I too love pomegranates. We ate them all the time growing up.
    They are also very pretty to display in clear bowls.
    They're sooooooo healthy!
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening, dear Lydia,

    your moon chart shows that full moon is approaching. I will have a full moon post on Sunday.

    Wishing you a peaceful night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pomegranates and spinach! Two of my favorite things. I'm definately going to try this one Lydia. The dressing sounds really good to me too..something to brighten up a winter day! Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Eva,
    I'm so looking forward to your full moon post! I love full moons.
    Have a very nice weekend on this full moon weekend!
    Lydia

    Hello Linda,
    I'm happy your going to try this recipe. I know you'll love it. Even my hubby liked it a lot, even though he's not crazy about pomegranates.
    Wishing a nice weekend!
    Don't forget to look up at the full moon on Sunday evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know me, Lydia - anything with avocado and I'm there!

    I have only tasted pomegranate once. Can you believe it?

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kat,
    I too love avocado anyway it's prepared. Even though it's high in fat, it's good fat and should never be avoided. It also has omega 3 in it, which is so good for us.
    I know you'll love this salad.
    Have a great Saturday,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lydia,

    I am going to get some pomegrante and create your master piece. It sounds delicious.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Dave,
    I'm happy your going to try it! It's delicious!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Lydia I love pomegranates this is a awesome recipe thankyou! I also loved the butterflies very beautiful too Have a great day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello jamerson,
    Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a nice evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete