Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tropical Papaya Dessert

The dessert carnival has arrived. My recipe is called "Tropical papaya dessert." It 's so refreshing and delicious.
Throughout history papayas have been used as food as well as to soften skin, clean and to tenderize meat. Christopher Columbus called this exotic fruit the "fruit of the angels," because of the heavenly things it did for a persons health. With papayas being sky high in vitamin C and A, fiber, calcium, phosphate, magnesium and potassium, this dessert is worth a try. They also taste sweet, while being relatively low in sugar.

Ingredients;
3 medium to large ripe papaya
1 (11 oz) can of mandarin oranges
1 small banana, peeled and sliced
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 star fruit peeled and sliced
1 cup or a can of chopped pineapple, juice drained
1 cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt
3 tbs honey
2 tbs fresh chopped mint
Cut papayas in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place oranges,banana,kiwi, star fruit and pineapple chunks in a bowl. Add the yogurt, honey and chopped mint to the bowl. mix everything together well and fill each papaya with the mixture. Garnish with additional mint sprigs and serve. This dessert would finish off a light summer dinner perfectly.
For more delicious dessert recipes from the dessert carnival please give Cielo's blog a visit at
houseinroses.blogspot.com
Or you can go over to "my favorite blogs list" and click on "The house of roses"
I'm sure you'll find many great desserts and other recipes you would love to try and not to forget to mention Cielo's absolutely beautiful blog and posts she has to share with others.

12 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I will definitely try it. I usually have fruit and yogurt for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia,

    both photos look appetizing. We don't get to buy papaya over here very often. But when I find one I will try out your desert recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get hungry here at your place


    Your garden has exploded in flowers.
    You have now almost summer weather as I can see.

    Have a nice weekend, we have a long weekend, starting now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another winner! What does starfruit taste like? I've never tried it.
    I'm pretty traditional when it comes to fruit- kiwi is adventurous for me, but this sure does look good.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for participating in our Dessert Carnival. Please add a link to my page on your Papaya recipe, so people can find more wonderful desserts on my blog...

    Thanks Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you believe I've never bought papaya fruit...I'm not even sure if they sell it here in our grocery stores, I will have to check because I so very much want to make this!! It would be perfect served after a barbecue:-) Thank you so much for sharing your dessert with us! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Oswegan, Thanks for coming by and viewing my recipe. This makes the perfect snack or breakfast along with added health benefits. Have a great day!

    Hello Eva, Thanks for coming by. I hope you do try this recipe once your local grocery store gets papayas in. I'm sure you will enjoy this tasty treat!

    Hello eric, Thanks you! Yes, my garden is finally starting to bloom. Soon it will be much more colorful with my apricot trees, lilac bushes and wisterias starting to bloom! I can't wait. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kat,
    Star fruit has a very unique taste, it's sweet and it's a bit like a kiwi. It's very pretty cut up. They are shaped just like stars. If you ever give this dessert a try, I'm sure you'll love it. This goes great as an ending to tropical summery meals.

    Hello Cielo, Your welcome! Thank you for letting me participate. I have now added your link to my post, so others can have a peak at all the recipes and your pretty blog!

    Hello Pea, welcome to my blog! I'm sure you would like this. I'm looking forward to visiting you at your blog. You are so right, This would be the perfect dessert for a barbecue. Have a wonderful afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love papayas! Your dessert looks yummy & your garden is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit to my blog.Your papaya dessert looks very tasty and fresh.We only ever get bad papaya's here and that is a real shame because I love them.Come and visit me again.Best regards from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nicky, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will stop back and visit you again at yours! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a dessert I have to try yum. I can taste it just looking at it. Art with food.Have a good two weeks off Lydia

    ReplyDelete