Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Black Eyed Susan In Glass

This is a charcoal pastel drawing I did in 1999. Flowers and celestial themes were some of my favorite subjects to draw and paint. Black eyed susans are one of my favorite meadow flowers. They are also called rudbeckias. They are biennials. The dried flower heads drop seeds every year, so they can sow themselves for the following season. In the summer I have them growing in the small meadow behind my garden. I love picking bouquets of black eyed susans and placing them in a rustic vase, or a mason jar, so I can place them on my dining room table as a center piece.

6 comments:

  1. Your charcoal pastel looks lovely. The Black Eyed Susan in the glass with the violet background is an eye catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eva. I love to work with pastels. I get lost in my drawings sometimes. I thought a bright and cheery background for this piece would be pleasing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting has such a pretty dreamy feel to it. A certain kind of calm energy.

    Oh' and thank you sooo much for the sweet birthday greeting you sent me. I really appreciate it.

    Now that I am at this lovely age, I am definitely taking my food seriously by eating mostly vegetables. It's a slow process having to wean myself off meat...but I'm improving. I'm hoping to become more creative in preparing vegetarian dishes. Your blog here is a help to me:>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Luxie, Thank you and you're welcome. I am happy that you will be trying out some of my vegetarian recipes. I hope you enjoy them. I try to keep them very healthy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lydia!
    This is a lovely pastel drawing. I am a big fan of rudbeckias too and have a few of them in my garden, in the sunny spots. They are so majestic and their stems so strong. I love their hardiness and their gorgeous colour.
    Your picture captures them beautifully.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kat, thank you very much. Rudbeckias are very cheery flowers. I also love the dark cone middle against the bright yellow petals.

    ReplyDelete