Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Dog Hera

This Is a photo of my 2 year old dog, lounging around in our garage. I remember when I first brought her home two years ago. She was small enough to fit on my lap. She is now a 114 pound moose. The name Hera came from an ancient goddess who was also a powerful queen in her own right. In mythology , Hera was the original all-powerful multifunctional goddess responsible for every aspect of existence, a symbol of the complete woman. Among the Greeks, Hera was the goddess of marriage. She was the bringer of fertility, protector of children, and of women during childbirth. Hera was often represented with a peacock, symbolic of beauty, luxury and immortality. For some reason I thought this name fit my adorable little Rottweiler puppy, when we were driving the hour ride back home after picking her up from the breeders house.

8 comments:

  1. Your Rottweiler lady Hera looks wonderful. She has such soft eyes. I am sure the children love her, and the cat does, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, The children do love her. Even though rottweilers have such bad reputations, she's a wonderful and gentle family dog. I believe it's all on how someone raises their dog that determines how they will be later on in the teperment department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hera was also the namesake of the well-known muscleman Heracles, and from the looks of your dog the name is pretty apropos. I'll bet you don't worry about burglars much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Baba Doodlius, That's quite interesting to know. We have no trouble with worring about riff raff. Even though she is a very good dog, a rottweiler's number one instict is to guard, because it's been bred into their bloodline. She stands outdoors all day and watches people who walk by with a guarding stance. I'm sure it's quite intimadating to them. We have invisible fence which makes it very nice and she has never broken it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hera looks wonderful. You and your children are lucky to have her watching the house, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eva, Thank you. I took this photo of her sunday afternoon, while she was relaxing on her blankets in the garage. She is so good with all of us. I couldn't ask for a better watch dog. She is so alert and on guard. In the summer while I'm out back in the garden, she does her rounds around the property through out the day to make sure everything is o.k..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dog! She does have such soulful eyes! I love her name. We call our dog, Zoe, the Canine Goddess, and I suspect Hera is one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Amber, I love your dog's name, it's so cute. Your very right Hera is also a canine goddess to us.

    ReplyDelete