Monday, February 25, 2008

Sauteed Kale With Garlic and Tofu

Greens are very healthy for all of us to include in our diets. They contain folate and calcium, which is beneficial for us vegans who do not eat dairy products. Greens contain other important nutrients which protect against cognitive decline, support bone health, and prevent age-related eye problems.
Leafy greens like kale, escarole,and collard greens make tasty additions to all kinds of dishes, including salads, soups, and stir- fries.
Yesterday afternoon while cooking myself up some sauteed kale and tofu, my hubby snapped this shot of me by the stove. Now for of you who want to get adventurous, or just love eating greens, just follow the recipe I've listed below.

Ingredients;
1 box of whole wheat pasta
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tub of extra firm tofu, rinsed and cut into cubes
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
One bunch of fresh kale leaves, rinsed and chopped
1/3 cup of water
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

1. prepare pasta by following the directions on the back of the box.
2. In a large frying pan heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add the cubed tofu. Saute for 10 minutes. Stir the tofu frequently to prevent sticking.
3. add the minced garlic and continue to saute for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Add all the rest of the ingredients and cover. continue stirring occasionally. Cook the kale for 20 minutes or until it's soft.
5. When all is finished serve the sauteed kale and tofu over wheat pasta.

For added flavor you can add crushed red pepper flakes, an extra squeeze of lemon, and grated cheese to each dish before serving. This is truly one of the healthiest dinners you will eat if you decide to try it.



13 comments:

  1. This is a nice photo of you, Lydia. I like the hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, Thanks for your comment. I just threw my hair up in a clip. I like to pull my hair back while cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never bought kale, but this recipe inspires me to try it out. Thanks! Very nice photo.
    I appreciate your visit to Poetikat's.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kat, If you like greens, you would love kale. If your ever feeling adventurous you should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely photo - recipe sounds delicious - although in my house only I would eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely picture of you :) Garlic has many herbal uses too .. and has been used in various forms of medicine. Let me ask you this .. why are you a vegan? Usually when there are dietary restrictions .. there is religion involved .. such as Halal and Kosher in Islam and Judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda- Hello and thank you. I totally understand that you would be the only one at home eating this. I'm the only one here who eats this dish too, cause the rest of my family are meat eaters. Most evenings I am making two different meals. One for them and one for me.

    Nabeel- Hello and thank you. I'm not a vegan do to religion. When I was in my teens I became a vegetarian, because I never liked meat. I would have to force myself to try and eat it when my mom would serve it. I then decided to give it up completely. I continued to eat dairy until my late 20's, until I developed a terrible lactose problem. At that time I gave up dairy too. Once in a blue moon I have eaten seafood because I do like it, mostly only when I'm vacationing by the ocean. Otherwise I'm a pretty strict vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would hate to have to work with meat again. I don't miss the smell, the texture, the taste. I don't miss anything about it.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Kat, I know what you mean. I find meat gross to handle. I always found chicken especially discusting and my family loves chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would enjoy this recipe without the Tofu. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lone beader, welcome to my blog.You can follow this recipe the same way, but instead of using the tofu and soy cheese, just replace it with raccotta, and parm cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Lydia, you are so beartiful! I like this photo and the recipe greens and tofu. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello tai-lien, Thank you so much for the kind complement.

    ReplyDelete