Thursday, June 16, 2011

Leaf Curl

Last week I noiticed some of the leaves on my two peach trees were oddly colored and curling.
I went online, did some research and found out they have " Leaf curl."
Peach trees can get this fungus from too much rain. We had a very rainy spring here and the rain caused a lot of these spores to develop.
The bad news is that it's too late to treat my trees this year. The good news is that this disease will not kill my trees.
I learned that once the leaves fall off of the trees, I need to gather them up and throw them out to avoid spores from over wintering in the ground.
In the autumn, after 90 percent of the leaves fall off the trees, I need to spray them with a copper based solution (hopefully I'll find an organic form.)
Once spring rolls back around, I need to repeat the spraying before the trees bud.
This should prevent and kill the spores that carry the disease onto the trees.
For now all I can do is keep cleaning the dropped leaves up off the ground and fertilize around the base of each tree .

4 comments:

  1. Lydia, I'm very glad that you will not lose your trees!
    That is good news!

    Take care and have a wonderful day!

    Margie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margie,
    I'm happy about they two. I see fruit growing on the trees.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy that the peach trees are so loved and cared by you lydia. i'm sure they'll thank you with abundant fruits in return :)

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alison
    i try to tend to them the best i can.
    I hope to have them recover fully!
    Have a great evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete