Monday, July 12, 2010

Garden Fresh Meatless Sauce


Now that tomatoes are coming into season, skip the meat and eat vegetarian some nights. Not only is it healthier, but eating much lighter meals in the summer helps us tolerate the heat better.
Here's a fast simple recipe, for fresh meatless sauce.
Ingredients;
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 chopped garlic cloves
1 medium onion
6 fresh ttomatoes ( preferably picked out of a garden, bought from a garden stand or farmer's market, because they are fresh and tastier than store bought tomatoes)
1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch of crushed red pepper
In a large sauce pan heat olive oil.  Add the onions and saute until soft. Add chopped garlic and saute a minute more.
Add chopped tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Serve over pasta.

10 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds good, Lydia.

    I eat tomatoes daily.

    Mostly I like them fried,

    together with some piece of

    meat or sausage in a pan.

    Wishing you a great day,

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Olivia,
    Tomatoes are very good for you! They have many vitamins.
    My hubby and kids love the flavor of meat, I do not.
    I make fresh sauce both ways.
    Though I do try to encourage the meatless way at times and they do like it when I add portabella mushrooms.
    I hope your keeping cool?
    I just picked apricots today.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia,

    I also like different sauces

    with tomatoes.

    Keeping cool is difficult,

    it is so hot and humid today.

    I am staying inside, drinking

    lots of iced lemon juice.

    I just red on RIA NOVOSTI news

    that an elderly tourist from

    Japan died of the heat in Moscow.

    They have had an extreme heat

    spell there ...

    Wishing you a pleasant evening,

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia,
    Sorry to hear about the extreme heat there.
    Yes all different sauces are good.
    It's scary when the heat effects people.
    It's especially affects the elderly.
    It's best to drink plenty of herbal teas and water during these very hot days.
    Wishing you a very nice evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite in the extreme heat

    is iced lemon juice, Lydia.

    I drink many pitchers each day.

    Wishing you a good gardening

    time,

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Olivia,
    Lemens are good for you. They are great to cleanse.
    Drinking plenty is good for you!
    Have a great day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am drinking many pitchers daily.

    LOL

    Wishing you a pleasant evening.

    Tomorrow, the 14 of July,

    is a national holiday in France,

    with fireworks in the evening.

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olivia this is great!!!!
    You enjoy your holiday tomorrow and the nice firework display!!!!!
    I am sure your looking forward to it.
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday tomorrow in France!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another very nice way to eat

    tomatoes is filled with veggie

    stuffing and sprinkled with

    parmesan cheese.

    Have a great day, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello Olivia,
    That sounds delicious!!!!!
    I just read a new recipe "tomotoes watermelon salad!"
    I'll try it and if it is good I will share the recipe.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete