Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Zuppa Di Pesce


This is another non vegetarian Mediterranean seafood recipes that's absolutely yummy! Every time I've made this for dinner guests it's been a big hit. This is another must dish to try if your a seafood lover.
Ingredients;
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium sized leeks, chopped
2/3 cup fennel
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
1/2 cups of good quality white wine
1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes with juice
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp saffron ( optional)
1 bay leaf
12 clams, washed and scrubbed
8 oz, large shrimp, shelled and deveined
8 oz firm fresh cod fish
minced fresh basil
Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add leeks, fennel, garlic, salt and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine, stock, tomatoes, thyme, saffron and bay leaf. Bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the soup covered for 20 minutes.
Add clams to the saucepan once the 20 minutes are up. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the clams have all opened up. discard any clams that have not opened. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cooked clams from the water and place them in a dish covering them loosely with tin foil. Add shrimp and fish to the soup and simmer for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the pan from the stove and discard the bay leaf. Ladle the soup into separate bowls and top each bowl with 3 clams. You can sprinkle some chopped basil on top if desired.

10 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post I was salavating and getting very hungry. I love this meal it is one of my favorites. I have the urge to run down to the fish market and buy the fish and shrimp and clams. I am going out the door now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent food, Lidya, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,
    wonderful recipe and lovely photo. This town looks gorgeous. Where is it?
    Wishing you a quiet night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really good. Do you chop the fennel up or leave it in big pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia,
    Seems like a good recipe to try ....but I have no idea how to deal with fish..
    have a good day.
    love and ((hugs))
    bindi

    Ps. Your garden is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dave, I'm happy my post is making you want to go out and get the seafood for this recipe. Have a wonderful day!

    Hello Dave, Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm happy you like my recipes!

    Hello Eva, Thank you. The photo is in southern Italy. I believe sicily. Have a wonderful day!

    Hello Oswegan, I'm happy you like this recipe. You will want to chop the fennel up first. Have a great day!

    Hello Bindhiya, I'm glad you enjoyed tghe photos of my garden. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll tell you, visiting your blog is dangerous for my waistline...I always get SO hungry! :-) This recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Amber, Thank you. I'm glad my recipes temp your tummy. Even though I'm a vegetarian, I've decided to dedicate a few seafood recipes I enjoy making for my family and dinner guests. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lydia This recipe is divine. I look forward to reading more of these awesome recipes. They are really delicious. Thank you so much! Have a wonderful Day dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jamerson, I'm glad your interested in my recipes, because I have a lot more to share with everyone. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete