Friday, May 30, 2008

Spring Rolls With Chili Dipping Sauce

The other day I was looking through my Natural Health magazine and I came across a great spring roll recipe. Since I love spring rolls and always order them when we go out for Thai, I decided to try and make them. They came out great. My daughter loved them too. They are so healthy, I enjoy making them for her. Here is the recipe I followed. You can purchase some of the ingredients from the Asian section of your grocery store, or an Asian market.
Ingredients;
2 ounces of rice noodles
12 spring roll wrappers
24 fresh mint leaves
1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 3-inch match sticks
1/3 cup of cilantro
12 pieces of red leaf lettuce, shredded
1/4 cup of tamari sauce
2 tbs of rice vinegar
1 tbs toasted sesame oil
1 tsp hoisin sauce
1/2 chopped jalapeno pepper
1 tbs chopped, unsalted peanuts

Fill a shallow bowl with with hot, but not boiling water. Soak rice noodles for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, cut carrots into match sticks and shred the lettuce. In a shallow bowl, add hot water and place one rice wrapper in there to soften. Once pliable, assemble a spring roll. Start by placing 2 mint leaves lengthwise in the center. Place some carrots on top, then place some lettuce, cilantro and rice noodles on top of the carrots. Roll the spring roll up by folding each end in first, then rolling tightly. Once rolled, place them seam side down onto a serving plate. Repeat the process.
To make the dipping sauce, combine tamari sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and hoisin sauce in a small bowl and mix together well. Stir in jalapeno peppers and peanuts. Serve with spring rolls.
These spring rolls are great for a summer get together. They taste so fresh. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Hello Lydia,
    I love spring rolls but have never made them myself yet. Am looking forward to using the self-grown cilantro this summer. Thank you very much for sending me the little package of seeds.
    Wishing you a peaceful Friday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, Your welcome! I'm happy you like the cilantro seeds. They should grow well for you this summer. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia I have never had the pleasure of trying these. I like Thai food I never seen this one. Wow I can't wait to try this. It looks so good mmm. You have a splended weekend dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... spriiiiiing roooollllls! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring rolls are a common fare in our local menu. We have different ways of preparing them. What you featured here is something unique though, must try it.

    My fave ones are the Vietnamese kind. I love the silkiness of their wraps and how the everything is so simply presented, but utterly tasty.

    Since you have inspired me, then this week,part of my menu will include a serving of healthy spring rolls :>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Baba dudlius, I love spring rolls too!

    Hello midsummerprism, Your so lucky to have spring rolls be a common food in your country. I just love the freshness of them. I love dipping them in peanut sauce. I also like the outer wrap of the roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello jamerson, I'm sure you'll love this recipe if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia, I'm definitely going to try these over the Summer. I'm hungry right now and I wish I could just wriggle my nose and have them on my plate (or have you visit to make a batch up for me!)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Kat, These are so good and perfect for the summer. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds really delicious, unfortunately we have one with a peanut allergy. We could probably use a sweet chili sauce without peanuts though.

    ReplyDelete