Monday, July 9, 2012

Garden Harvest and Sad Skunk Situation

This morning I was a bit shocked and very saddened to see that my dog killed an adorable skunk overnight. I found it dead in my back yard. My dog also smells a bit from it. Needless to say I had to pick the poor thing up with a shovel and walk a ways back into the woods, where i layed it to rest in the treeline.
On a happier note,  I harvested half of my garlic then replaced them with hungarian wax peppers and tasty pablos.
My basil is huge and there's a lot, so it's time to start drying basil and freezing pesto.
Tonight I made a fresh ministrone from the greens, herbs, peppers, celary, onions, garlic and sweet peas I picked from my garden.
To my amazement, my tomato plants are incredible this year! The plants are large with high yields of tomatoes on them. I'll be picking baskets of tomatoes in a few weeks.
SUMMER'S THE BEST!






2 comments:

  1. What a post this is! I am glad your dog survived. Also, I remain amazed at your knowledge of all things Vegan! Very cool, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    Thank you! I just planted 12 more pepper plants in place of the garlic and onions I'm harvesting. Today I planted pimento peppers and cheyenne peppers. I'll have a good variety of both hot and sweet peppers by the end of summer. I like to dry, freeze and man's hot sauce from the hot peppers.
    I'm sure your enjoying the local fruits and veggies in your area right now.
    Have a great evening!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete