Monday, October 4, 2010

Pumpkin Pasta

1) Preheat oven to 425. Peel half of a small sugar pumpkin and cut into 1 inch chunks.
Toss with 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt and 2 Tbs. honey. Roast on baking sheet until tender, about 45 minutes.
2) Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole grain pasta and cook as directed on the box.
3) While pasta is cooking, add 2 Tbs. olive oil, and 2 tsp minced garlic to a skillet. Heat over medium heat until fragrant, then add 1/2 cup of finely chopped walnuts and the roasted pumpkin. Toss combine and heat through. Set aside.
4) Drain pasta.  reserve 1 cup cooking water. Toss pasta with 1/2 cup cooking water and stir in 1/4 cup chopped parsley and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese(optional) Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Transfer to bowl and toss well with walnut, pumpkin mixture. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Whole living magazine.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are back to blogging, dear Lydia.

    Surely you had a bountiful harvest in your garden.

    I love the photo and recipe for pumpkins in your first autumn post.

    There are many pumpkin fields here in the area, where I go on walks. I love to see those big yellow and green vegetables growing.

    Blessings

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Olivia,
    Thank you. It's great to be back.
    I love cooking with pumpkin. When there is a new pumpkin recipe and if it is vegetarian I'll usually try it. This one is delicious. Definately a keeper.
    How nice that you have many pumpkin patches. Instead of growing summer squash in my garden next year, I'm going to make room to grow sugar pumpkins.
    I'm still harvesting and storing. This summer was a great garden year for me.
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you will have good supplies

    for the winter, dear Lydia.

    Blessings

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia,
    I try and stock up on veggies and friuts for the winter. I do a lot of freezing and I also stock up on pumpkins, squashes and apples. they keep for months if stored right. every time I can I stop at the veggie stands road side to buy pumpkins and squash so I can enjoy them all winter. soon the stands will be packing up til next summer.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not do any cooking with

    pumpkins, but I sure like their looks.

    Blessings

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Olivia,
    Pumpkins taste delicious. There are many ways to cook pumpkin and they are very healthy to eat too.
    I am trying to stock up on them now. when I see them cheap by the road tand I buy the smaller ones for cooking and eating.
    Blessings, Lydia

    ReplyDelete