Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Orange Ornaments

Close up of an orange with the sunshine coming through it.

Over the weekend I made orange Christmas ornaments. The idea came from my "Body and Soul" magazine. They're really easy and fun to make.
1. Cut four unpeeled oranges into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 175 degrees for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Poke a hole near one edge with a needle and thread doubled twine through to make a loop.
These ornaments look so interesting added to the Christmas tree. Another idea is to gather up some interesting fallen branches while out on your nature walk and place them in a vase. Once in the vase, hang the orange ornaments in the branches. This arrangement is very pretty when placed in front of a window that receives sunshine. The sun shining through the ornaments illuminates the oranges.


10 comments:

  1. Good evening, dear Lydia,
    this is a wonderful decoration for the window. I love the transparency of these orange slices, with the sun shining through.

    Have a peaceful, calm evening
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva,
    Thank you. I also love the way the oranges illuminates in the sun. They're so much prettier than the plastic suncatchers.
    Wishing you a wonderful day.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting and beautiful idea. I love it. Thank yoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again, dear Lydia !

    The first photo is great !
    The orange slice shimmers and shines like a golden sun, warming up the inside of the room in winter.

    I see that you have an interesting new heading, too. What is it?

    wishing you a good night
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful ornaments and great idea.
    I love Nigella too. I've seen most of her shows, I wish they would do some new ones with her. I think she is so funny. I love her raiding the frig at the end of her show and going off to bed with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lydia you don't see that every day how slended the way the sun just sparkles through the orange very beautiful to the eye. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would imagine that they would be quite useful in keeping my cats away from the tree as well.

    Pretty too!

    Hope you are well, Lydia.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia..the orange slices make lovely, unique ornaments, and the fragrance is probably very pleasing, too!

    I really like the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Dave, Thank you!!!!!

    Hello Eva, Thank you! looking at the sunshining through the orange is pretty interesting.

    Hello Judy,
    Thank you! I think Nigella has a very nice presence on t.v. I look forward to watching more of her cooking shows.

    Hello Jamerson,
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!

    Hello Kat, I'm sure it would. I was thinking about stringing popcorn around my tree this year, but got reminded by a show on the radio that my dog would go after the tree. I don't think it would be a good idea anymore.

    Hello Jan, Thank you! It does give off a nice citrus scent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty, and I bet it smells good!

    ReplyDelete