Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gingerbread Cookie Recipe

This past weekend me and my kids made a huge batch of gingerbread cookies. They are my favorite cookies to make. They're in my kitchen every Christmas. My family likes them more so for eating. Since I'm not much of a cookie person, I love baking them, because I find it so fun the decorating them after they've cooled.
Below is a very easy gingerbread recipe that I follow every holiday.
Ingredients;
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1. Beat butter with sugar and molasses. Mix in egg.
2. Sift dry ingredients and add to wet mixture.
Mix well and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. Heat oven to 350 F. Roll out a portion of the dough 1/4
inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
4. Cut with your favorite cookie cutters, place on a non stick
baking sheet.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
6. Decorate with your favorite icing recipe if desired.
Some of my favorite cookie cutters are the antique cutters I use to collect. I believe they're from the 40's and 50's. It's so exciting to pull them out and use them to make my gingerbread cookies every year.

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful, your gingerbread cookies, dear Lydia !

    I am sure they taste and smell good. Your family will be very happy munching them until Christmas comes ...

    Wishing you a pleasant Thursday,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eva, Gingerbread cookies are so fun to make. I ope to make a gingerbread house with the kids too.
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, dear Lydia,

    your new avatar is pretty, I like this summer photo very much.

    Wishing you good baking times
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Eva, Thank you!
    I like to change it around here and there. I miss summer already, so I used a
    summer photo instead of a winter one.
    Have a nice evening,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I understand you so well ! I also miss summer, winter is not my favorite season ! Let's hope it won't be hard and long this year ...
    Wishing you a good night Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eva, I'm hoping for a very short winter with a very fast return of summer.
    Have a nice day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gingerbread. What size is a "stick" of butter?

    Your love heart shapes are gorgeous. Heart shape is my favorite shape of all. It is so full of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lydia cookies and gingerbread are two favorite foods I like thanks for the recipe! Have a great day today dear friend

    ReplyDelete