Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Peach Jam

I've been really busy gathering veggies, herbs and fruits lately, so I'm going on a blog break. Taking a blog break will give me more time to  preserve the foods I pick up at farm stands, or get from my own yard.
I'm wishing everyone a great rest of the summer.
Be back in October!
Since peaches are so juicy, sweet and delicious right now, I've posted a healthy "peach jam" recipe.

 Ingredients;
1 1/3 cups of finely chopped and peeled peaches
1/3 cup of white grape juice
3 tsp bottled lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp Ball "real fruit" low sugar or no sugar pectin
Up to 1/2 cups of honey (optional)
Sanitize jam jars as stated on the "Ball" mason jar package.
Always use clean brand new lids when preserving fruits and vegetables.
Combine peaches, juice, and lemon juice in an 8 qt. sauce pan.
Gradually stir in the "Real fruit" pectin.
Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
Add honey if using. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam.
Ladle jam into hot jars one at a time, leaving 1/4 inch space from the rim. Place lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
Place filled jars in a canner making sure jars are covered in 1 to 2 inches of water. Place lid on canner. Bring water to a gentle, steady boil.
Process jars for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the lid of the canner. Let the jars stand for 5 minutes.
Remove jars and let cool for 24 hours.
Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when pressed in the center. If so, refrigerate jam and use within a week.
Store jam at room temperature and enjoy this healthy preserve all winter long:)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the kind words on my last post, I so love to hear such great comments. You have a special blog and I wish I could live by your "rules", but alas, I always fall into my own pit. :)

    Hope to see you visit again, loved seeing you around.
    Take care.
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Colin,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I loved reading your blog and i plan on visiting your blog more.
    Wishing you a wonderful afternoon!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia, yummy peach jam.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Hope all is wonderful with you and see you soon.
    I hope to get back to blogging before too long but not sure when as I have so many things to do in the house and in the yard.

    Take care
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Margie,
    I have a whole winter's supply of peach and blackberry jam.
    I hope all has been going well with you since you've been on blog break.
    I totally understand how busy you are in your yard.
    I'm trying to find the time to clean up my veggie garden and plant garlic.
    I look forward to reading your future posts!
    Have a great day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete