Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mulligatawny soup


Every Tuesday during the month of May I will be posting pureed recipes.
Today I've posted a recipe that I read in one of my "Body and Soul" magazines.
I've already made this vegetarian Indian soup three times and it's delicious!
If your a fan of Indian cuisine then you'll love this tasty dish.
Ingredients;
3 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tsp grated peeled ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Coarse sea salt and ground pepper to taste
8 ounces dried yellow lentils, rinsed
2 cans (14.5 ounces each)
Vegetable broth
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 can chick peas drained and rinsed (optional)
1/4 cup scallion green for garnish (optional)
Brown Basmati rice for serving (optional)
1) Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds; Add lentils and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook until lentils are soft. Working in batches, transfer to a blender and puree soup. Return to soup pot and add two cups of water. Cook over medium heat until warmed. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
2) (optional) Meanwhile, heat remaining two tbs of oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add chickpeas; cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown and crisp. Serve soup topped with chickpeas and scallion greens with brown rice alongside.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. Its one of Mr K's favourite soups, but Ive never made it myself, I buy the organic carton. I have all the ingredients except the fresh ginger, so I think I will pop to the shops and try it out. Thanks for sharing. I love to read others recipes X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kitten,
    I love this soup!!!!!! I've made it more than once already and this recipe is definately an all time keeper!!!!!!!!
    The meat that goes along side this soup, I make for my hubby. It's called "Curry Chicken with Cilantro Lime Sauce". He just loves it too!
    Hope you enjoy the soup!
    Have a great day,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia that does look so good My PC is being repaired so I will be out for awhile. I will have to try this recipe Have a great day dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jamerson,
    I'm sorry to hear about your computer!
    Hopefully you'll be able to get it taken care of.
    Have a great day.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete