Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Basil

It's once again time to start my basil indoors. This year I'll be growing Purple basil, Genovese basil and Large Leafed Italian basil.
It's very easy and inexpensive to start basil indoors. All summer long I love throwing fresh basil into the meals I'm making. Come autumn I pick all the basil plants and hang them to dry, so I don't have to purchase them all winter long.
To start basil indoors all you will need is a medium to large pot, seed starting mix, plastic wrap, seeds and a water bottle.
Start by filling the the pot with seed starter mix. Add the seeds and cover lightly with more seed starter mix (do not cover seeds deep). Spray well with warm water and tap the top of the mix lightly to secure the seeds.
Once finished cover with plastic wrap and place in a sunny window. When the seeds start to sprout you can remove the plastic wrap and water with the spray bottle when needed. As the basil grows you can use a watering can.
Once the weather warms up a bit you can start hardening them off by gradually increasing their time out doors in indirect sunlight. When finished hardening the plants off and the weather is warm enough to start planting, loosen the mound of basil from the pots and start to break chunks off carefully for garden planting.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Lydia I like basil I have been having some trouble with my PC so I havn't been able to post comments Thanks for visiting! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jamerson,
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you can get it fixed soon.
    Wishing you a great day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,
    My little tomato plants are doing so well, I think I will try starting some basil! Thanks for the idea:)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    Basil is very easy to grow. I grow tons of it to dry out for the winter months.
    You can even buy it and transplant it into your garden if you don't want to start it from seed.
    Have a great day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of basil. It is so fresh and invigorating - permeates the back step when I plant the pots and fills the kitchen when I bring it in and toss it in and chop it up. Mmmm!

    Have a wonderful day, Lydia!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kat,
    I use basil in just about everything I cook. I love all kinds of basil! I have to grow it every year!
    This summer I want to plant my basil both in pots and in the veggie garden. It's good to have some close at hand out on the porch in pots for those days when I don't feel like walking all the way back to the garden.
    Wishing you a very nice weekend!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've just started planting some veggies, spinach. the weather has been a little too hot lately... it's not growing so well.

    wishing you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Alison,
    I have to wait til the end of May to start planting my veggies. It's cold and rainy here today.
    Wishing you the best on your garden!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete