Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Brocolli Rabe With Olive Oil


brocolli rabe, originally uploaded by balcony girl.


Brocolli rabe was always a favorite of mine while growing up. It was something we ate often, either as a side dish or a main meal. This tasty green is very popular at the Italian dinner table. Most supermarkets do carry rabe in the produce department. If you want to give these greens a try follow the recipe I've listed below.


Ingredients;


One bunch of broccolli rabe


Olive oil


2 cloves of minced garlic


salt and pepper to taste


Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash and remove stems from the rabe. Add the greens to boiling water. Reduce heat and let simmer. When they are tender strain all the liquid and press excess water out of the rabi. In a medium skillet add a good enough amount of olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. You can then add your rabe and minced garlic to the pan and saute for 8 minutes over medium low heat. Afterwords add some salt and pepper to taste and it's ready to serve. You can either make this as a side dish or have it as a main meal over some pasta. If you like beans, you can add 1 can of cannelloni beans to the mixture.

13 comments:

  1. Mmmm..that sounds delicious, Lydia!

    I'm really glad to see you..I was beginning to wonder what happened to you!

    I hope that all is well with you, and your family, and that the new year has started in a good way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jan, I'm glad you came by. I took a bit of a break from blogging, but I'm very happy to be back in blogger world again. At times I get caught up with my kiddies, so by the time I sit down I end up falling asleep instead of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia,
    I am glad the new post is on. And it looks so good, too. I love broccoli and eat it mostly in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia, It's about time I started posting more recipes. I took a bit of a break. Rabe is a part of the broccoli family. The flowers are extremely small and it's very leafy, with a strong flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi lydia
    how are you
    im happy you ar returned to writing
    i wish that you had spent a wonderful holiday and vacation with your family
    greetings and regard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Lydia! I've never had rabe, but it looks and sounds really good. We're old gardners so we've tried most vegetables. I like swiss chard and beet greens, so I bet I'll like brocolli rabe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had rabe! But Im gonna try it! Sounds delicious! Does it taste like regular broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lydia,
    we have a vegetable similar to the one on your picture which is called "Kohlrabi". But I have never heard of "Broccoli Rabe" yet. I will be on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Osama, Thank you so much. I took a short break and it's glad to be back.

    Linda, thanks for the welcome back. I love beet greens and swiss chard. I grow swiss chard in my garden every year.

    Amber, You should give it a try if you can find it. Rabe tastes a bit stronger than broccolli, but it's still very good.

    Olivia, It may actually be the same and it's just called something a bit different in your parts. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely recipe. Great blog. Thanks for commenting on mine. Keep up the great blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Charlotte, Thank you for coming by to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds really good. I love greeens and spinach etc. So I will have to try this.

    ~Oswegan

    ReplyDelete
  13. i absolutely love broccoli rabe. this is a staple in my kitchen and i make in many different ways including your recipe. it's delish!

    ReplyDelete