Thursday, January 31, 2008

VEGAN LASAGNA


Lasagna #3: Lasagna, originally uploaded by Frenkieb.
For those of you who are vegan like me, you'll love this vegetarian lasagna recipe. When most people think of lasagna, they also may be thinking of the loads of fat they're about to consume. You won't feel guilty for eating this dish, because there's no dairy at all in this recipe, making it very healthy, extremely low in fat, delicious, and vitamin packed with nutrients. This lasagna is made using a meatless sauce. To make things easier you can choose to use purchased sauce instead of making your own.
Ingredients;
1 package of whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 tub of soft tofu, water drained
Grated vegan soy cheese
6 slices of mozzarella soy cheese
1 Tbs fresh chopped basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Marinara sauce
Pre heat oven to 375. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles to the boiling water and follow the cooking direction on the back of the box. Once the noodles are done, drain them and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking action. Set the noodle aside. In a separate bowl add 1 tub of drained tofu, a good amount of grated vegan cheese, salt and pepper to taste and chopped basil to the bowl. mix it all together well. In a baking dish start by putting a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the dish. Place a single layer of noddles in the dish, then spread the tofu mixture on top of the noodles. Place another layer of noodles on top of the tofu mix. Place three slices of the soy cheese over the noodles and pour a bit more sauce over the top. Keep building this until you have used up the ingredients. Once finished, cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. There's surely no need to feel any regret about eating a second helping of this low fat alternative, as opposed to a meat filled cheese slathered, high fat lasagna meal.


18 comments:

  1. Hello, Lydia,

    lasagne is my favorite Italian dish. I love the spicy crust on it and the tomato flavor. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Givethemhell, Thank you for stopping by. I too like lasagna a lot, but I will only have the vegan version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried the vegan version, Lydia, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really good. I'm a big cheese head though so I would have to use the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Oswegan, I totally understand. Many people would prefer the cheese version over the tofu version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lydia,

    when will the buckeye butterfly be on? I long to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Hopefully I'll have the swallowtail on first, cause I'm further along on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great,Lydia!

    I am looking forward to seeing them both soon, the buckeye and the swallowtail.

    Your drawings and paintings are so beautiful. Keep going, please. Never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, does that look good! I need to try the vegan version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Amber, I 'm sure you won't regret it. It is very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lydia,
    I'm not a vegan, but I love tofu! I don't eat red meat, or pork...if I were single, I might very well be a vegan, but to keep a man fed, it's tough not to have some dairy or eggs.
    This recipe does sound great though and I think we'll both enjoy it.
    Thanks! I'll be back.
    Please stop by my blog where you may be entertained by some of my quirky, rhyming verse and such.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kathleen, Welcome to my blog. I totally understand what you mean about your hubby being a meat lover. Both my hubby and children are meat lovers, so I always find myself making two dinners. I use to love cheese myself, but in when I hit my late 20's, I became lactose sensitive, so I had to give up dairy. I do occasionally try to eat cheese, but end up paying for it later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks yummy lydia.

    have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like an easy vegan dish to do. So often a vegan dish is a lot of work. I always feel a bit cheated of something tasty being vegan and living with two meat eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juliane, Thanks. It's very good.

    Linda, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm the only vegan here. I live with all meat eaters at my house. Tonight I'm making barritos, so it's beef for them and vegetarian tofu taco filling for me. Cheese for them and soy cheese for me. It is a ton of extra work at times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good evening dear Kitty,
    I received your message.
    Surely you will be able to put up your own gallery in your home, it will work out well, and you won't need a babysitter, which is an advantage, too.
    Wishing you a peaceful night,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete