Saturday, April 28, 2012

Paste Tomatoes

Paste tomatoes make the best, sauce, paste and salsa. Their intense flavor, firm texture and few seeds makes them perfect to eat right off the vine.
Here are 11 paste tomato varieties to consider growing in your garden this summer.

"Big Mama" produces an 8 to 10 oz tomato. It's very meaty and few seeds.
"Jersey Giant" is thick fleshed, large, long, tapered pepperlike tomatoes. They have a sweet flavor gardeners rave about.
"Roman Candle" has a pale yellow skin. It's smooth, creamy and has a sweet flavor.
"San Marzano Redorta"  is named after a mountain in Italy. This is a large tomato that produces heavy yields.
"Carol Chyco's Big Paste"
This tomato is a very large heirloom. Great for slicing and a delicious choice for sauces and canning.
"Rocky" is another huge heirloom tomato. It has the full tomato flavor gardener's love.
"Amish Paste" is juicy and it's flavor outstanding.
"Opalka" is a heirloom from Poland. It's very meaty and sweet.
"Super Italian Paste" is a big tomato. It's meaty and sweet with a large irregular shape.
"Polish Linguisa" is another meaty and sweet tomato. It's great for dicing and using in salads.
"Heidi" is a heiloom of Africa. It produces flavorful tomatoes all season long. It's great for sauces and eating fresh.
Sauce in 6 minutes:
This is one of the easiest and freshest sauce recipes.
Start with minced garlic added to 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Saute for a minute.
Carefully pour in a 1/2 cup of cold stock. Add chopped paste tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 2 handfuls of chopped basil and serve with pasta.


2 comments:

  1. An amazing post that reminds me how much tomatoes were a part of my growing up. My parents and my Grandma raised tomatoes and they are so good! As kids, we'd enjoy refrigerated tomatoes during hot, summer days. I enjoyed this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    Same with me. My mom , grandmother and all my aunts and uncles gew tomatoes and still do. My mom use to plant over 20 plants every summer.
    I was planting 50 plants, now I've brought it down to 18 plants. I had to do this so i would have room for other veggies. I love homegrown tomatoes.
    I'll plant 1 paste variety this summer too. The " San Marzano Redorta". I love making fresh sauce and salsa in the summer.
    have a wonderful day!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete